- New musical about the Manhattan Project is terrible, and I kind of want to see it.
- Organic preppers are now a thing — which makes perfect sense.
- The more fascinated I become with atomic culture in the US, the more interesting the state of Nevada — and even Las Vegas — suddenly becomes. Who wants to do a warning sign near Area 51/Nevada Test Site road trip?
- Doomed mannequins from Operation Doorstep
- The thankfully imaginary “36 Hour War” from Life, November, ’45
- A look at some 1960s studies of how humans react to living in fallout shelters for up to a fortnight. Briefly considered: “the use of hypnosis to convince people that an attack was imminent or had taken place was discussed in a 1963 study. But the OCD decided that, while informative, such extreme measures could not be morally justified – not in peacetime, anyway.”
- Soviet submarine bases from io9’s Vincze Miklos, who always posts amazing images.
- This Cracked list kind of made me feel bad about enjoying conspiracy theories as much as I do.
- But I still pledge to start believing that Alex Jones really is Bill Hicks from now on.
- I really do miss when there was always a historical documentary on the History channel, though. Now it’s a time for celebration when there is one. And even then, I watch and wait for the weasel words, which will then lead to the ancient aliens.
- Some solid ideas for the Independence Day sequel
- He was a dick, so probably
- Bowman, South Carolina has a UFO welcome center. You can go inside for a dollar. Or you can head to St. Paul, Alberta to see a UFO landing pad. Since it’s Canadian, it has a bit more quiet dignity than the down home Carolina one.
- So, bombs have their uses!
- Darin Morgan, a name I didn’t know until I read this piece, apparently wrote three of my favorite X-Files episodes. He also wore the Flukeman suit in the episode I am too afraid to watch to this day. [Hat tip to Franklin Harris]
- An epic website of Cold War songs
- Many of which are available on this Youtube account
- Coal mines are taking over West Virginia graveyards, which is awful.
- How to decorate your bomb shelter
By Al Rex
Not to mention, “When You see Those Flying Saucers”
By the Buchanan Brothers