- “I don’t want people who are in poverty, in pain, or suffering, to suffer because it’s for their own good and they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I want to help them. I want us all to help them. I just don’t want to use guns to do it.” Penn Jillette is awesome, go read this Washington Times interview with him at once.
- If you want to be a sex worker…
- Wired seems awfully convinced that you are an enemy of the state, which is why they wrote about how the next president is going to kill you with technology.
- Cracked post about secret languages includes an entry on nushu (which I just learned about on QI) which was the secret woman’s tongue in China. It seems that a decade ago, there was only one woman who spoke it. That article has a little too much “boohoo, girls get educated now!” but it’s rather a beautiful thing that women not given education or autonomy, not even given the pleasure of the written word, found a way around that and made their own characters (phonetic, too!) I love humans for just reasons like that.
- Reason TV wandered about the Bastiat dinner and asked folks what writers got them into freeeeeeeeedom and things like that.
- Oliver Sacks is amazing. Oliver Sacks wrote a letter back to me when I was 13. Oliver Sacks has done more drugs than you might have guessed.
I like sex and drugs and rock
But I’m down with Waller Block
No one rocks as well as you
But who Rocks well is Lew
I love but don’t worship Jesus
The same could be said of Mises
Stossel’s bad on Nagasaki
But not as racist a dude as Taki
- The annoyingly talented Mike Riggs would like you to “Meet the Members of Congress Who Will Make Marijuana Reform an Issue in 2013.”
- OMG, Radley Balko’s book now has an Amazon.com page, this is a big deal.
- Introducing Dronestagram [joke about how hipsters aren’t anti-war anymore so who cares?] H/T Nick Burcin.
- Part 2 of an ongoing “I was raised in Scientology and here is what happened” series on The Hairpin.
- Oh man, I wish I had watched the Firefly special yesterday, but io9 has some of the scoop there.
- I wish I could could care about the first openly bisexual member of Congress, but I don’t. Much like I don’t care about how many or few ladies are in government. Do. Not. Care.
- I care about this photo a little, though.
- Counterpunch out-Rockwells Rockwell and it works better, somehow: “Is This Child Dead Enough For You?”
- Vaguely paying attention to Gen. Petraeus scandal, if only because it continues the trope of the woman journalist/investigator/etc. who sleeps with her subject and that is really God damn annoying. I guess there are two crazy ladies now?
- Alright, Becky Akers, I’ll give you that one.
- Well, he was 16, that’s almost old enough to automatically count as a terrorist.
- My own thoughts on soldiers, from Memorial Day and inspired by Chris Hayes’ almost awesome comment.
- Old Crow Medicine Show on Vietnam. (Somewhere in this video is me in the front row being perfectly happy.)
- Wilfred Owen died a week before the Armistice. Go read some of his poetry.
- Right, princesses have the job for life and they have an alarming amount of power and they wear really particular clothes. That is totally different.
- Libertarian squeeeeeee.
I am going to try to start writing for them more and more. Their superior ability to explain economics is most intimidating, but thankfully I can make stupid bullet points and incessantly tout that greatest of anthems, Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road.”
See, it’s funny because Gawker headlined it “America’s Only Rude Libertarian…” and all libertarians are middle-aged white dudes with no social skills, who live in their parents’ basements, while simultaneously being Mitt Romney, I mean Paul Ryan, I mean a non-specific evil Hollywood businessman. And those of us libertarians who exist in the real world have never heard those strawmen before. Nor would we ever hear them, if not for the hardworking reporters at Gawker.
Eric Dondero; they decided Dondero(ooooooooo) was worth an entire post.
Hey statists, you won last night, mostly. Any compelling reason to kick libertarianism when it’s down? Because it’s always down.
Except, did the actual success of libertarian-friendly causes like gay marriage and legal marijuana on Tuesday make you nervous? Your president had to be dragged kicking and screaming into being an ally to the gay community (out loud, that is). And he has let his Department of Justice trample all over marijuana growers, state legality be damned.
Yep, the best aspects of the (arguable) left have nothing to do with Obama. He’s a sell-out war mongerer, and even if he becomes less of one this term, that won’t erase his last four years. That’s the thing about people’s lives and freedom being taken, there is no backsies there.
Oooh, I have another idea for a Gawker blog! I bet Wayne Allen Root said something stupid!
- Ron Paul Elected Ruler of Tiny Planet Inhabited by 1 Billion Tiny Ron Pauls”
- DEA responds to Reason re marijuana legalization victories, suggests they’ll keep right on being dicks, no matter the state law.
- Mother Jones offers a more hopeful spin on legalization, noting that Eric Holder didn’t officially come out in opposition to Colorado’s Amendment 64.
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) has all your marijuana results from last night.
- Ben Smith makes me cringe — in spite of the awesome marriage equality and marijuana legalization victories from last night — by deciding last night means “Welcome to Liberal America.”
- Obama’s victory tweet is the most popular tweet of all time, and I was totally rooting for Justin Beiber there.
- I hate weddings, and this is still insanely touching. Photography is awesome.
- Except when it’s campaign photography, then the magic is pretty much beaten out of the medium.
He is the only person who has so far managed to make me wish I had voted today. [Update: To reward Russell for his awesomeness, I purchased a copy of his “Renegade History of the United States” since I have been meaning to read it for ages.]
AdsError, no Ad ID set! Check your syntax!
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- Afternoon links
- Big Government
- Big Government
- Bill Steigerwald
- Book Appearances
- Counter Point
- Dogging Steinbeck
- Evening links
- Foreign Policy
- Guest Blog
- Law and order
- Loathe List
- Love/Hate List
- Media Appearances
- Media critiques
- Mini Rant
- Morning links
- My photography
- Nighttime links
- Politics for People Who Hate Politics
- Pop culture/Reviews
- Road Blog
- Shameless Plugs
- Steigerwald Post
- Travel Writing
- Travels Without Charley
- Truth About Charley
- Tuesday Apocalypse
- Two American Road Trips
Tags50th Anniversary afternoon links Antiwar.com bad cop blotter Bill Steigerwald books Conservatives country music dogging steinbeck drones drug war freelance Gawker global warming Joe Steigerwald John Steinbeck law and order Liberals libertarian Liberty.me links lists lucy steigerwald MARIJUANA media media critiques movies music my photography nighttime links nuclear war obama personal Pittsburgh police politics Politics for People Who Hate Politics pop culture rand paul travel Travels With Charley Truth About Charley tuesday apocalypse Vice war